I am in Spain!

This is going to be a boring, but hopefully frequent, update of all the things I do and see while I am in Cadiz, Spain. I have a feeling my mom and dad are going to be the only readers, but I'm okay with that.

Monday, July 24, 2006

My face healed. Apparently it was some sort of bite, maybe a spider or something. I also think my linguistics test went pretty well, but I'll find out if that's true or not in less than half an hour. Plus I have another test at noon, but that isn't even one we could have studied for.

Granada and Ronda were beautiful! We went to Ronda first and saw the first bull fighting ring. There isn't a whole lot in Ronda that we knew of to see, so we just ate lunch and took pictures. What's cool is that the city is built around a gorge that has a waterfall and stuff and so we stood on a bridge overlooking it. It was very pretty.

Granada is a great city and I'm so glad we spent two days there. The Alhambra is where we spent a lot of our time, but we also saw their cathedral and the chapel that has Fernando and Isabel's body. The Alhambra used to be its own muslim fortress/town and so a lot of the architecture is old and beautiful, and then once the Roman Catholics finished reclaiming Spain they turned it into theirs, so there's lots of places where the architecture switches. We went to the exact spot where Queen Isabel gave Christopher Columbus the grant to find the Americas. Isn't that neat? I took millions of pictures.

Another cool thing in the Alhambra is the harem, which was the private terrace for the sultan (in muslim times). There is a fountain in the middle, with 12 lions around it. The lions represent the 12 tribes of Israel. Isn't that interesting? It turns out that stricter muslims looked down on the sultan in Spain because he was judeo-muslim. I didn't know that existed!

Our hotel was VERY fancy, but the only problem was that it was a 20 minute walk uphill or downhill to town. So we probably walked a good 20 miles over the weekend with all the tours and shopping. Flamenco was amazing--I know I already described it, but it was in a cave and very intimate, and I am so fascinated by how their clapping, guitar, singing, stomping, and dancing all mix together. I recorded a little to show when I get home.

And the best thing in Granada: Hammam Arab Baths! We went at 10pm and had an hour and a half. You have to shower before you can get in the baths because they clean them before and everything is hypo-allergenic. It is in a cave, and everything is dark except for some candles and aromatherapy stuff burning. There's a cold room with a hot-tub sized bath that you can sit in up to your neck. Then there's a hot room, which is where the masseuse tables are, and then there's a long, shallow hot tub. It is decorated muslim-style with pretty tiles everywhere and there's arab music playing in the background. It was AMAZING! I seriously wish I could get ahold of that phone number Cori gave me and book my appointment for a massage NOW for when I get home! Anyway, it was the best 25 euro ever spent, I'm sure of it.

I love you guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home